Saturday, 3 November 2012

13 Days of Halloween - Day 13

Well it's finally here the last challenge of the 13 Days of Halloween by Simply Challenged Challenges.
For this challenge we had to do a tutorial. Well I thought I'd do a tutorial for the basket I made previously. This time I made it out of 12 x 12 papers, so had to adjust the measurements so it would fit.

This is picture heavy. Please read through the tutorial first before you start making, so you won't make mistakes.

Here is the basket finished 



To begin with you need 2/ 3 pieces of plain 12 x 12 cardstock. It needs to be sturdy, so coordiations card will tear, so best not to use that. You will also need decorative papers, at least one sheet needs to have a pattern where it doesn't matter which way you use it. You'll need a ruler, pencil, a border punch, a digi stamp or other stamps, some nestablities or other shaped dies and anything else you'd like to decorate it with like, ribbon, charms, gems etc.

First you need to take one of your plain pieces of card and score at 4 inches and 8 inches.
Turn your card 90 degrees. You now need to score 1 1/2 inches, 3 inches, 4 1/2 inches, 7 1/2 inches, 9 inches and 10 1/2 inches to the 4 inch score line. Don't go further than that line as you'll be scoring through the bottom of the basket.

Here's a picture showing how the scoring should look like


Next you need to score again on the same long side but only about a 1/4 long from the top.
5/8 of an inch, 7/8 of an inch, 2  1/8 in, 2 3/8 in, 3 5/8 in, 3 7/8 in, 5 7/8 in, 6 1/8 in, 8 1/8 in, 8 3/8 in, 
9 5/8 in, 9 7/8 in, 11 1/8, 11 3/8 in.

Here's a close up of what this should look like


You then need to turn the paper around 180 degrees and do it the opposite side.

Next from the 4 inch score you will draw a line up to the first notch ( the line you just scored). Here's a picture to show you what I mean. I've drawn it in pen so you can see it against the black.



This is what you should now see on your piece of card.


Now you're going to cut out the triangles, so it looks like this. Be careful how you cut the triangles out as these will be your templates. Cut the triangles where the long score lines are down the middle not the triangles with no score marks.


You need to keep the triangles either side of the middle triangle and one other. Here's a picture to show which ones I mean.


The small triangle will be your template for the papers to cover the 12 small triangles, with the other two pieces I'll show you how to fix them together to make the template for the middle triangles.

First tape down the thin section of one of the triangles.


Turn over the taped triangle and align the scorelines together to form one big triangle.


Always check that the templates will fit on all of the sections before you draw around them.


Next you need to cut the strip of paper to go along the bottom and up the sides. This paper needs a pattern that doesn't matter which way up it goes. This is 3 3/4 inches by 11 3/4 inches. Stick this to the bottom. (It's the long orange strip in the picture 

Next take another piece of paper that you want to use for the triangle. Draw around the small triangle 12 times and the large triangle twice. Here's what your paper should look like.


If your paper is directional like this one, always have the point towards the top so that when you stick it together it's facing the right way. I'm actually using the reverse of this paper so it doesn't matter for me.

Here they are cut out


Now stick them to your triangles. This is how your base of the basket should look.


Now we're going to give the basket it's shape.

Turn it over and glue / tape the top of the middle triangle. Place the triangle next to it over the taped section. Here's a picture


Put more tape over the top and bring the triangle (on the right of the picture) to the centre. Keep taping in between layers and alternating left and then right. Here is what you should end up with.


Repeat for the other side. You will have a basket shape. To make it stronger you need to make your handle and the middle section. Your handle needs to be 1 1/4 inches by 12 inches. I've left mine plain, but if you want to add a piece paper to it the size you need is 3/4 inches by 11 1/2 inches.

For the middles section take a piece of plain card and cut it to 1 1/4 by 6 inches. Score on the long side at 1 inch and 5 inches.
Here's what it should look like.


Next glue/ tape the handle in place first. I taped the ends about 1 inch in and stuck them down. You must stick the handle first. Then tape each end of the middle section and stick it in.
Here's what it should look like


You can see the handle is beneath the middle section.


Next we will make the lid. This bit is tricky as it depends on how you stuck the basket it together.

First you need to measure from the handle to the outside of the basket. You can see the length of mine is 3 1/4 inches 


So to get my lid shape, I double that measurement which is 7 1/2 inches. I need to add 1 1/4 inches for the middle section total so far is 7 3/4 inches. I want a 1/2 inch lip all around the edge so I add 1 inch (1/2 inch per end) which gives me 8 3/4 inches. I then add a 1/4 of an inch to make sure it will go over the basket. Total at the end is 9 inches.

For the short end measurement I know the width of the box is 4 inches. Again I want 1/2 inch lip so I add 1 inch. I then add the extra 1/4 of an inch to make sure it goes over the box, which gives me 5 1/4 inches.

My piece of card is 9 inches by 5 1/4 inches.
Place your card so the 9 inch side is along the top of your scoreboard. Score at 1/2 inch, 3 7/8 inches, 5 1/8 inches and 8 1/2 inches.
Turn the card 90 degrees and score the card at 1/2 inch and 4 3/4 inches.
Here's what it should look like


Then cut like the picture below


To decorate the top of this you need 2 pieces of patterned paper 3 1/8 inch by 4 inches and 1 piece 1 inch by 4 inches.

Put the lid together so it looks like this. 


Tape the middle section. You then need to feed it through the hole between the handle and the middle section. Align the taped section with the middle bar section that you taped in earlier. Stick the two together.

Here's what it should look like


Now to add the spider web border. I measured the width of the design which was 1/2 inch and then added 1/2 inch for my lip on the lid. I cut 3 pieces of card at 1 inch by 8 inches. I then cut the border out of this card.

 Once I'd cut the borders I measured the 6 sections. 3 sections for each end of the box. I then cut the border to that size. I then taped the 1/2 section of border and joined it to the box. You can see how it's stuck in the picture below.


I then chose an image. Coloured it and used my nesties to cut her out and stuck her on. Make sure you stick her under the lid or the lid won't open.

I hope you like the basket. It can be done in Christmas colours and you could add poinsettia's to the middle section under the handle. You could add flowers and eggs for easter. There's lots you could do with this basket.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need more explanations on some of the steps. 

I would have done a video tutorial but it would have been a 2/3 sets of videos and I'm not brave enough to do one yet. Maybe in the future.

Hugs

Kelly x

I'm entering this into 
Simply Challenged Challenges - Trick or Treat - A tutorial.

17 comments:

Flutterby Trina said...

Oh WOW I'm so glad you have done a tutorial on this! I can't wait to try - but it all have to wait till I have finished catching up with myself!!! Well done and will let you know when I do one! x

craftyeyes said...

fab creation and fab tut thank you x

Jewelsmae said...

Amazing tutorial, you have gone into a lot of detail to explain everything, well done

kay said...

excellent tutorial kelly,nice and clear and i love the spidey paper,x

Janine Vegter said...

Great work Kelly!!!

Caroline said...

WOW this is fabulous the design is excellent and what a fantastic tutorial. Caroline xxx

crafty-stamper said...

reat basket and love the detailed tutorial
carol X

carrie-lee said...

great basket, love the tutorial xxx

Margrit said...

amazing tutorial - think its a bit advanced for me but i really love your work

Angela said...

ok, this is stunning and what a great tutorial - thank you very much for sharing

Anda said...

AMAZING! I loved this basket when I saw the first one you posted, but now that I've seen how much work is involved I'm *so impressed* ♥

Rachel said...

O thank you for the instructions for this basket Kelly, it is so Amazing!
Good Luck :D

Regan said...

Wow, that is a labor of love right there! Look at all the work that went into this lovely creation! Fantastic instructions and gorgeous basket! Thanks for sharing!
{hugs}
Regan

Trish a.k.a stampi said...

wow great work..and great tutorial..that is amazing and lot of work and well worth it this project is so useful too for so many seasons...cool thanks for joining us at SCC

Irene's Creations said...

Amazing basket and great tutorial to go with it.

Irene's Creations said...

Great basket and tutorial to go with it.

Corinne said...

WOW, FANTASTIC and love your tutorial!!
Hugs