Friday, 26 August 2011

Airbrushing

Hi all,
I got a new toy this week. It's the airbrush for the promarkers. So of course I had to have a play and if's fab. I thought I'd go through the steps so you could see how I got to the cards.

Here's the airbrush. I already had a older version but hadn't played with it so this was all new to me. The letraset one comes with a promarker in skyblue. You do need to buy the air cannister for it to work.


I'm not the best at drawing clouds and I really wanted the option of having different styles and sizes of clouds. I used clipart in word to make the above page. I then printed it out.


I then cut the clouds out. It didn't matter about the sun etc as I cut around them.



I then stamped two images on my usual card for stamping and coloured them in. They are both using Promarkers. This is the first time I've coloured an image in just greys.



I then stamped another image on a post it note. I made sure the image was over the sticky part as this will be my mask. I then cut it out.



I then placed the mask over my image. I then used some wacky tape to put the clouds on. You can see I used different sizes and shapes.



I then airbrushed. The closer to the image you are the darker the colour. I then took the clouds off and then airbrushed again but further away from the image to get a lighter colour.



As you can see the effect is wonderful. I did the grey image aswell to show the versatility of airbrushing. I'm really pleased how they turned out. The only thing I would change is I would cut the mask even closer.



I then mat and layered the cards and added some embellishments.



Well I hope you liked this quick tutorial and will have ago at airbrushing.



Thank you to She's a Sassy Lady today for having me as a guest designer.


I'm entering this card into The Sugar Bowl sketch challenge.



Kelly x


P.S if I get over 100 followers I'll be doing a blog candy which will include some copic sketch markers.



25 comments:

Karen said...

This truly is a wonderful card hun. And thanks for the mini tutorial. :0) I keep nagging my hubby to show me how to use his small (spare) airbrush. Maybe one of these days. Lol.xx

Cricut Couple said...

This is just gorgeous! Congrats on 100 Followers! We are your 100th! YAY!!! We saw your amazing tutorial on Sassy Lady. I haven't tried airbrushing with markers yet, but now I have to. I just love how you did so many different versions of the same design. What versatility!!! We can't wait to see more! Visit anytime. http://cricutcouple.blogspot.com

CraftyLoops said...

Oh wow, how fantastic is this. Thank you so much for sharing the tips and techniques, you are very kind. This really is a gorgeous card, so much hard work has gone into it and the end result is terrific. Lee xx

Bunnyfreak said...

Love the black and white. very different.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is such a beautiful card! Love the coloring you did. I am new to the markers and am trying to learn shading.... no where near your skill level. I loved seeing this. Thank you for sharing with us today at She's A Sassy Lady.

Alex said...

What a gorgeous card. Thanks for the tutorial too :). A very different card.
Alex x

CrafteA said...

Karen,
Both versions are lovely! TFS the mini tutorial. I just have one critique, you did not color in the gap that was made between her arms & torso.

Maureen said...

Lovely card, well done.
Maureen........x

Becky said...

Wow these are fab, Love both the coloured one and the grey.

Becky x

MissyG said...

Fab card and a great tutorial thanks
Linda

Pink Dandelion said...

Wow what a fab tutorial. You make it look so easy. Great idea to cut the clouds from clip art. Lovely cards, Hippie Chick is my favourite Sassy. Debs xx

sandy's crafty bits said...

ooo super card well done ... just doing a bit of blog hopping happy crafting and love sandy xx

lizzies said...

Gorgeous card and tutorial

applejack cards by sue said...

Beautiful card and thank you for the tutorial, really clear and well explained.

Karen said...

Fab card. Love the sassy image, one of my favourites. Good tutorial for clouds. Must try. xx

alizabethy said...

Great background - enjoy your new toy!

SandraCraftyCardz said...

Wow!!!!!! Sandi xx

Catherine said...

Great tutorial!!!! Have fun playing!

Fiona Keel said...

what a great effect the airbrush makes, both the coloured and the grey version of the card are superb! you now have 106 followers, your christmas cards are amazing, my favourite is no 7, love the papers you used and the image,Fi x

alifrew said...

That tutorial makes what I always thought was v complicated sound so easy. Thanks for this, might be brave enough to have a go now. Your cards look beautiful xx

craftybirdlisa said...

Wow, and OMG and Fantastic and so many other wonderful things. These are stunning. (Oh dear, yet another thing to add to my wishlist)

Stunning. x

sparklingblackrose said...

Well done, these are fabulous-worth all your hard work and thank you or sharing! Late leapblogging, hope you have a lovely bank holiday! Elaine-xxx-

Kathleen said...

couple of lovely images!
love hte effect of the airbrush - might have to put he copic one on my xmas list!
kathleen mc x

Kitika said...

Stunning card!!!
I love your beautiful design.
Your colouring is absolutely breathtaking!

Milaya said...

It's a great card i like very much how you colored the picture! And thank you for a tutorial!